Posh Spears - Chargrilled lemon chilli and cumin asparagus spears with a paprika yogurt dip
If you going to spend money on asparagus you will want to do something amazing with them said nearly anyone with a family to feed. They are expensive for a number of reasons, one being that the market does not exists, so get buying and cooking! This is my attempt at doing something amazing, and well I call them posh spears, so I think I am pretty close to amazing - the chilli packs a kick for the grown-ups only, the lemon gives it a bit of a punch, and the cumin just hangs out rather mellowed with the chargrilled smokiness. You def need the sweet paprika cold yogurt to offset the strong aromatic flavours. Depending on the gumming ability of your baby you can give them the whole spear to chew/suck or just the soft flowering end.
8-10 asparagus spears
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
Juice of a lemon
½ tsp chilli flakes – for grown ups
1. Wash and dry spears – make sure they are completely dry. Cut length ways down spear to create 2 halves.
2. Toss spears in oil.
3. Heat griddle pan on a medium heat and place spears on in the opposite direction to griddle.
4. Cook on a medium heat for 3-5 mins then turn over and cook for a further 3-5 mins. You know they are ready when a fork can easily pierce through the wood end of the spear.
5. Mix lemon juice and cumin seeds in dish and pour quickly over spears – they will hiss and create a puff of steam. Take out babies portion then sprinkle in the chilli flakes, heat for a further 30 seconds.
6. To make the yogurt sprinkle cumin on top of natural Greek yogurt, mix through before eating.
Depending on the gumming ability of your baby you can give them the whole spear to chew/suck or just the soft flowering end.
Asparagus are expensive for a number of reasons, one being that the market does not exists, so get buying and cooking!